Research Assistant- Munson Lab
Company: Virginia Tech
Posted on: January 27, 2023
A full-time research assistant is sought for the lab of Dr. Jenny
Munson at the Fralin Biomedical Research Institute at Virginia Tech
Carilion. The Munson lab is an interdisciplinary research group of
engineers and biologists that study the impact of fluid flow in
various pathologic conditions including brain and breast cancer and
Alzheimer's Disease. We use a range of tools and techniques to
model biological processes. We work with collaborators all over the
world and clinicians that have direct impact on patient treatment.
In addition to our research, we are actively engaged with the
surrounding community through outreach programs. We seek a
qualified individual who will be responsible for small animal
husbandry and procedures in the laboratory, and other duties as
assigned. This position will operate on a standard 9am - 5pm work
day and follow Virginia Tech's holiday schedule. Any inquiries
regarding this position should be directed to Jennifer Munson
(firstname.lastname@example.org) The duties of the role will include though may not
be limited to the following:
* Making significant contributions to the projects assigned and the
achievement of the project's research goals.
* Completion of animal surgeries across multiple projects
* Monitoring and documenting of mouse colonies, genotyping, and
* Injections and administration of substances for animal work.
* Preparation of mice for imaging work.
* Research record keeping.
* Maintaining accurate and confidential records used for conducting
and monitoring multiple studies.
* Training and assistant of other members on animal work.
* Participating in research team meetings to report on research
progress, improve data collection processes, assist with problem
solving, and address protocol issues that arise during the course
of research studies.
* Other duties as assigned.
* BS or MA/MS in biology, neuroscience, or related field, and/or
the equivalent level of training and lab experience.
* Effective interpersonal and communication skills to work with
colleagues in a diverse and engaging environment
* Ability to work collaboratively
* Basic computer skills (Microsoft Office - Word, Powerpoint,
* Molecular Biology experience (PCR)
* Mammalian cell culture experience
* Demonstrated organizational skills or experience
* The ability to work effectively and collegially.
* Openness to small animal work
* Experience in one or more of the following research areas:
neuroscience, biology, psychology, or nutrition.
* Experience with basic laboratory protocols including molecular
works, data collection, and data management.
* Technical writing skills
* Familiarity with reading of scientific writing
* Experience with small animal handling
* 3D printing
Commensurate with experience
November 7th, 2022
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech
pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on,
transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and
problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that
enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world,
Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge,
discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280
majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate,
graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate
colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college,
Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a
significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation
Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology
Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous
Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research
institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or
applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including
pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic
information, national origin, political affiliation, race,
religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise
discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about,
discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of
other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an
accommodation, please contact Brittany Shelton at email@example.com
during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to
Keywords: Virginia Tech, Roanoke , Research Assistant- Munson Lab, Healthcare , Roanoke, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!