Affinity Care of Virginia -
JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
A graduate of a Masters program in Social Work (MSW) from a
school accredited by the Council on Social Work Education is
required for this position. The MSW is responsible for the
implementation of standards of care for medical social work
services provided to hospice patients and their families. Medical
Social Workers are core members of the Interdisciplinary Group and
provide psychosocial support to the patient/family unit based on
the initial and ongoing assessment of needs and identified goals,
interventions and services indicated. Services are provided in
accordance with the established plan of care and utilize
professional training and judgment in monitoring the psychosocial
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS/RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Assesses the psychosocial status of patients and
families/caregivers related to the patient's terminal illness and
environment and communicates findings to the registered nurse and
other members of the interdisciplinary group. Provides an
assessment in the patient's identified residence and assistance
when this is not safe and another plan is required.
2. Carries out social evaluations, including family dynamics,
caregiver abilities, communication patterns, high-risks for
suicide, neglect or abuse and plans intervention based on
evaluation findings. Counsels patient and family/caregivers as
needed in relationship to stress, and other identified coping
difficulties. Provides crisis intervention when necessary.
3. Assesses for, and educates interdisciplinary group, on any
special needs related to the culture of the patient and family.
Includes communication, role of family, space, and any special
traditions or taboos.
4. Educates patients and families on, and assists in,
preparation of advanced directives.
5. Participates in the development of the individualized plan of
care, involving the patient and family, and attends regularly
scheduled interdisciplinary group meetings, assisting the team in
recognizing the effects of the psychosocial stresses on the
symptoms of the terminal illness.
6. Assists physician and other team members in understanding
significant social and emotional factors related to health problems
and death/dying issues.
7. Assists family and patient in planning for funeral
arrangements, financial, legal, and health care decision
1. Completes, maintains and submits accurate and relevant
clinical notes regarding patients condition and care given. Records
changes/outcomes as appropriate.
2. Communicates with the physician regarding the patients needs
and reports changes in the patients condition; obtains/receives
physicians orders as required.
3. Communicates with community health related persons to
coordinate the care plan.
4. Provides information and referral services for organization
patients and families/caregivers regarding practical and
5. Provides information to patients and families/caregivers and
6. Serves as liaison between patients and families/caregivers
and community agencies.
7. Maintains collaborative relationships with organization
personnel to support patient care.
8. Maintains and develops contracts with public and private
agencies as resources for patient and personnel.
9. As a mandatory reporter, reports failure to comply with
appropriate VA agencies within 14 calendar days, using Dept. of
10. Reports suspected abandonment, abuse, financial
exploitation, or neglect of a person in violation of law and ethics
to the department of social and health services and the proper law
enforcement agency. Reports must be submitted immediately when the
reporting person has reasonable cause to believe that abandonment,
abuse, financial exploitation, or neglect of a vulnerable adult has
11. Teaches the patient and family/caregiver coping techniques
as appropriate. Works in concert with the interdisciplinary
12. Provides and maintains a safe environment for the
13. Assists the patient and family/caregiver and other team
members in providing continuity of care.
14. Works in cooperation with the family/caregiver and hospice
interdisciplinary group to meet the emotional needs of the patient
15. Attends interdisciplinary group meetings.
1. Participates in on-call duties as defined by the on-call
2. Assists and supports the RN Case Manager to ensure that
arrangements for equipment and other necessary items and services
3. Assumes responsibility for personal growth and development
and maintains and upgrades professional knowledge and practice
skills through attendance and participation in continuing education
and in-service classes.
4. Fulfills the obligation of requested and/or accepted case
5. Actively participates in quality assessment performance
improvement teams and activities
6. Other duties as delegated.
The above statements are only meant to be a representative
summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by
incumbents of this job. The incumbents may be requested to perform
job related tasks other than those stated in this description.
1. A graduate of a Masters program in Social Work (MSW) from a
school accredited by the Council on Social Work Education
2. Minimum of one (1) year experience in health care, hospice
experience preferred. Understands hospice philosophy, and issues of
3. Experience in hospice care preferred.
4. Demonstrates good verbal and written communication, and
5. Once an offer of employment is made, it is contingent upon
satisfactory references, as requested, and criminal background
checks by regulation.
6. Prolonged or considerable walking or standing. Visual acuity
and hearing to perform required social work skills.
7. Must be a licensed driver with an automobile that is insured
in accordance with state/or organization requirements and is in
good working order.