Athletic Trainer - PRN (Roanoke, VA, US, 24014)
Company: Carilion Clinic
Posted on: May 28, 2023
How You'll Help Transform Healthcare: The Athletic Trainer will
work with athletes to prevent athletic injury and enhance
performance using knowledge of nutrition, hygiene, psychology,
conditioning and protective equipment. Develop training programs to
prevent injuries and examine athletes' injuries while also showing
them techniques to build their strength and avoid future or further
injury. They will be a point of contact between area athletic
programs and the physician practice. They will support Carilion's
hallmarks of service excellence and quality for all job
responsibilities. Provide support for clinical and medical staff in
the delivery of quality medical care. Assist with patient care as
directed by the physician and clinical staff within scope of
training. - -
- Demonstrates ability to perform the following functions
regarding athletic injuries: prevention, assessment, treatment
(including first aid) and reconditioning.
- Collects data and performs patient assessment to include
height, weight, vital signs, chief complaint, current medications,
- Carries out all prescribed treatments and recommendations by
the physician to treat and rehabilitate athletic injuries.
- Maintains work area, exam, treatment rooms, x-ray rooms and lab
in a clean, safe manner; restock with supplies and instruments;
sterilize reusable equipment as needed. -
- Observes all safety precautions and standards; assures proper
disposal of specimens and contaminated waste. -
- Provides patient and community education in the areas of sports
injury prevention and care.
- Completes all documentation in a timely manner.
- Serves as a liaison between patient/athlete, physician,
physician office staff and school personnel.
- Prepares patient for physician/provider evaluation: take vitals
and determine if any are normal or abnormal, listing medications,
obtaining specimens, positioning for exams.
- Documents patient information in the electronic medical record;
update information as indicated; record appointments of referrals
and diagnostic studies; -
- Performs initial patient evaluation and screens, report
findings to physician, complete requisitions for lab, x-ray, mri,
- Aids physician in procedures as needed and maintaining a
sterile environment, etc.
- Develops and distributes ongoing patient education information
about athletic injuries, equipment, nutrition and exercise programs
to obtain optimal performance
- Performs patient evaluation during post operative phases, and
provides education on home care plans for pain care, ADL's,
mobility and exercise.
- Performs clerical and office functions as directed:
- Greets patients and assists with check-in/check-out
- Answers phones; schedules appointments; and receives/relays
- Helps to review charts the night before patient's appointment,
-making sure all needed information is in chart: test results,
referrals, lab results, ect. If anything is missing call the
appropriate facility to retrieve the needed information. -
- Provides bracing and orthotic fabrication (DME) and
applications, casting, suture/staple removal and post-operative
wound assessment and care.
- Provides patient brace/crutch fitting, product education, and
gait training for all types of patients with/without assistive
devices and with various weight bearing status and neurological
conditions. What We Require: Education: Bachelor's degree in health
related field required. Experience: One year in athletic training
setting preferred. - Licensure, certification, and/or registration:
Licensure as an Athletic Trainer with the Virginia Department of
Health Professions and certification through the National Athletic
Training Board of Certification required. AHA BLS-HCP required.
Other Minimum Qualifications: Effective interpersonal skills to
communicate both in person and in writing in order to interact with
management, doctors, professional staff, patients, general public
and local schools and sports teams. Keyboarding and utilization of
automated computer systems required, including electronic medical
records. Must be able to assist with or transfer athletes of
various weight/heights. Must be able to stand for long periods of
time, have good mobility skills and be able to walk long distances.
About Carilion This is Carilion Clinic ... An organization where
innovation happens, collaboration is expected and ideas are valued.
A not-for-profit, mission-driven health system built on progress
and partnerships. A courageous team that is always learning, never
discouraged and forever curious. Headquartered in Roanoke, Va., you
will find a robust system of award winning hospitals, Level 1 and 3
trauma centers, Level 3 NICU, Institute of Orthopedics and
Neurosciences, multi-specialty physician practices, and The
Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine and Research Institute.
Carilion is where you can make your own path, make new discoveries
and, most importantly, make a difference. Here, in a place where
the air is clean, people are kind and life is good. Make your
tomorrow with us. Requisition Number: 138831 - Employment Status:
Flex - Location: Institute for Orthopaedics and Neurosciences -
Shift: Any Day, Any Shift - Shift Details: must be able to work
evenings and weekends Recruiter: EMILY F ALLEN - Recruiter Phone: -
Recruiter Email: firstname.lastname@example.org For more information,
contact the HR Service Center at 1-800-599-2537. Equal Opportunity
Employer Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Individuals with
Disabilities/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity Carilion Clinic is
a drug-free workplace.
Keywords: Carilion Clinic, Roanoke , Athletic Trainer - PRN (Roanoke, VA, US, 24014), Other , Roanoke, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...